Thursday, December 12, 2013

Palm Cove

We had decided not to go to the Daintree rainforest because we had been to so many rainforests in the recent months and it was not a cheap excursion. Jeremy had recommended that we go up to Palm Cove, which was a beautiful beach about 30 minutes drive from Cairns. He also said we HAD to get the fish burger at the Palm Cove Beach Club because it was the most delicious thing ever. I looked up the bus route to get there and we caught the bus in front of the Woolworths grocery store. It took 45 minutes to get there by bus and when we arrived, we were starving so we headed straight to the beach club. Apparently it had recently been redone (meant it was no longer a shack) and everyone we asked directions from mentioned how nice it looked now. When we got there, we wasted no time in ordering two fish burgers. I also let myself have a Coke Zero since I was a bit hungover from the Bogan Bingo events of the night before (not usually allowed since a coke is $4-5). Much to our dismay, the fish burger was not good. In fact, I hated it and had to almost force myself to eat it. What a disappointment!
After lunch, we headed down to the beach. It was slightly overcast but still very warm. It was a major danger zone for marine stngers which can kill you, so they had netted off an area that you could swim in protected. I didn't get in, but Alyssa did. After a few hours on the beach, we caught the bus back home.

Alyssa had made friends with a couple of people staying at the hostel the day before so when we ran into them upon returning to the hostel, they asked if they could join us for dinner. We headed to a place called the "Night Market" which is a cheap Asian marketplace. They have tons of little stores where they sell goods, as well as a food court. I tried one of the Asian buffets, where you can get any type of food imaginable. Sadly, most of it wasn't very good. I was hoping that the Australian food might be better if cooked by an Asian but no such luck.
After dinner, we went to Target with one of the girls so that I could return a shirt and buy a few other things. I told her to go look around while I was in the return line and that I would come find her. I did find Alyssa but after 30 minutes of searching, we never found Maria. It was so weird! Finally we just headed back to the hostel, a little concerned but sure that she could find her way back.
Alyssa was going out for a drink with an Aussie she had met at Bogan Bingo so I had the room to myself. I put on some Chrismas music and was happy to have time to get some things done. I still needed to write back to the car company that was charging us for the broken windshield and do a lot of research for the part of our trip that goes through Southeast Asia. By the end of the night, I felt very accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment