Friday, December 13, 2013

Bus journey to North

We had a 10:15am flight from Cairns to Brisbane so we didn't have to be up that early which was a relief. I like to be at the airport a bit early (which I know annoys Alyssa) so I called the cab at 8:30am. We got there with plenty of time to spare. While we were wandering around the airport stores, I bought some eye drops in an attempt to aid my ailing left eye. I has been red for over three weeks now and though I still think its probably allergies, it looks awful and I'm worried about it. The drops didn't seem to do much though unfortunately.
It was only a two hour flight to Brisbane but once we arrived, we needed to immediately get our bags and board the air train to the transit center. The air train leaves every 30 minutes and it takes 30 minutes to the transit center get there, so taking the 1:00pm air train to try to make the 2:00pm Premier bus was definitely cutting it close. Especially because we didn't even have tickets for the bus yet! We made it to the transit center and luckily they had seats available. I was amazed that all of that had gone according to plan, considering that was the only bus they were running that day and it was our only option. We had 15 minutes, so we decided to run downstairs and grab some quick food to eat on the bus. Of course once we got over to the bus, food in hand, they told us that no food was allowed n the bus so we had to try and inhale it before boarding. I felt like I might puke from eating so fast but it would be our only chance for a meal all day and since I get motion sickness, I knew I had to have something in my stomach to avoid getting bus sick.
The bus journey was 6 hours long and not too bad because our driver had tons of DVDs to play and keep us amused. The bus was insane though. The don't allow food of any kind, not even fruits or vegetables. The driver would give a 15 minute instructional speech every time we stopped and picked up new people (which was frequently) and he annoyed me so much that I wanted to punch him in the face. Luckily, I was able to block him out for the most part and the ride was smooth.
When we arrived, the shuttle from our hostel was there waiting for us. We had no idea how they knew when we'd be getting in since we didn't even know, but they said that they had been waiting there a few hours for us to arrive since they went sure. That was really nice of them. We got to the hostel and checked in to our four person girls dorm, which was just for us. In fact, we thought we might be the only people in the entire place! It was a ghost town. We walked around the place and saw that there was nothing to do so we settled in for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment