Friday, December 6, 2013

Last day in New Zealand

I shared a bunk bed with an Australian named Giles (I was on the top bunk and he was on the bottom) and it was literally like sleeping on a roller coaster. Every time he rolled over or breathed or blinked, my bed was shaking and it would wake me up. Needless to say, I hadn't had the greatest nights sleep and allowed myself to sleep in past 10:00am. When I got up, Alyssa and I finally had an internet connection (the hostel provides free Internet but it rarely ever works) so we booked some of the final things for Australia and did some more research into our Asia trips that were coming up. Finally, we decided that we should not spend our entire day inside and would get out and do something.
I wish I did not have am overwhelming fear of heights because I would love to be able to skydive or bungi jump. Queenstown is really known for those adventure sports but even the thought of doing stuff like that terrifies me. Instead, we saw that the hostel offered two free bikes for a few hours, so we decided to bike the Queenstown trail that went around the lake. The trail was beautiful and the lake has the most clear, turquoise water I've ever seen. Sadly, it was a bit cloudy out so I couldn't get the best pictures of it but it was still a lovely ride.


Once we returned to town, I grabbed some lunch at a sushi place that let's you create your own box with individual cut pieces so you can essentially make your own roll out of whatever kinda of sushi you want. I love that idea- Ilike to have a lot of variety when it comes to food. We then headed back to the hostel so that we could clean out the car, gas it up and get everything together since our flight to Australia was very early the next day.
I had to run the the grocery store to get some more conditioner and toothpaste,so since I was there anyways, I decided to try one of the beers I'd been eyeing. A beer is $10, so I had been refusing to purchase one but if figured I should try one before I left the country. I sat on our patio overlooking the lake, watching the boats and drinking my delicious beer. The sun doesn't set until around 10:00pm in the summer here, so there are plenty of hours for outdoor activity. We were in such a great location- we could walk to everything but still had a lake view.
We decided to splurge and goout to dinner since it was our last night in town. We went to a Thai restaurant and split the green curry and spicy noodles. Although it was very expensive by our standars, it was delicious! It also helps that you don't tip in New Zealand- that actually makes the prices seem a little more reasonable since you are not adding 20% to the price after the fact.

After dinner, we headed back to the hostel to finish packing. Our six person dorm consisted of us and four other guys, which is to optimal. It is not because I don't like rooming with men, that doesn't bother me at all. It's that men are not as considerate as women. They come home late and loud, turning on lights, talking and bumping into stuff. Women are always quiet and considerate. As we were in our room packing, two of the guys who are also in our room from Sweden came in wasted from a rum/cider concoction. It was only 10:40pm and they were about to go out to the bars so I knew based on the fact that they were play fighting, speaking in tounges and hiding behind curtains that we were going to be in for a sleepless night once they returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment