Friday, August 30, 2013

Bike ride to the beach

I woke up feeling a little better so I thought I should force myself to eat some breakfast, hoping that some food might help speed up my recovery. We stopped at a restaurant with a beautiful view of the water and I made myself eat some eggs and fruit.
Since we had been immobile the day before, we decided that we would rent bikes and ride them down to Bluff beach. We were able to find a guy that would rent them to us for $5/day and so we headed off with our swim gear. We rode through a part of the town we hadn't been to yet and realized that Bocas was actually a bit bigger than we had thought. The beginning part of the road to get there was paved but as we approached Ponch beach (another local beach closer to town), the road went along the beach and just became sand; not optimal for bike riding so we had to walk the bikes while.
We finally made it to Bluff beach and started to realize why people say Bocas is beautiful. This part of the island was jungly with beautiful beaches and large waves; a vast difference from town which is littered with trash. We were really hot from our ride down there so we jumped into the ocean to cool down. The waves were unexpectedly violent and Alyssa got thrashed by two in a row and had enough. I moved back behind the break and had some fun trying not to get swept up in the waves with these two Israeli surfers who were doing the same thing.
It started to rain, so I came in to the beach to sit with Alyssa and read. Luckily, the rain was short lived and we had some good hours laying out. We decided to begin our journey back and to stop at a restaurant we had seen at Ponch beach on our way out to get something to eat and sit in their huge, comfy lounge chairs.
Neither of us were starving so we decided to split something. Ceviche seemed like the easiest thing to get but once again we were disappointed when we got fish ceviche. Fish ceviche is officially awful and we are never ordering it again. We stayed and read there for an hour before heading back; we needed to have the bikes back by 6:00.
Since there isn't a ton to do in Bocas, we tend to break up the day with our meals. For dinner, we decided to go to a place Alyssa had read good reviews on called "El Ultimo Refugio". I had forgotten that I left all of my cash in my beach bag and the place didn't take credit cards, so we had to make due with the $40 Alyssa had with her (which essentially just meant no drinks, not that I could drink anyway). We ordered papaya shrimp as an appetizer and then I got a chicken salad and Alyssa go the seared sesame tuna. My salad was great (though I couldn't eat much of it) and Alyssa said it was the best tuna she'd ever had. This restaurant was clearly owned by an American (she came by the table after our meal to make sure everything was good) because its one of the only places in Bocas that has prompt service or employees who act like they give a crap. Most of the time you wonder if anyone even works at these restaurants...not big on customer service but they always make sure that tip is included in your bill.




No comments:

Post a Comment