Friday, August 23, 2013

Rain, rain, go away

We asked a local for a recommendation on a good breakfast place and he told us to go to "Cafe Ensuenos". Both Alyssa and I only had coffee (which tasted like instant coffee) but the veggie omelet and smoothie that Lars had looked good.
We headed out to the beach intending on having a beach day, but within 15 minutes of our arrival it began to rain. And then it proceeded to rain the entire rest of the day. When you are vacationing in a town that is only known for the beach and surfing, there are not many things to do on a rainy day. Lars went surfing because you can still do that while it rains and Alyssa ventured into town in search of lunch since we hadn't eaten breakfast. We found a very cute little cafe that had great croissant sandwiches.
I finally decided that despite the rain and the loss of my tennis shoes, I was going to go for a run. Being that the town is so small, there weren't many roads to run along and I finally ended up on the beach. The beach was extremely rocky and since it was high tide, eventually I was pushed back into the jungle because the waves came all the way up to the tree line. This would have been fine, except for my extreme fear of spiders. The spiders here are HUGE and anywhere there is not a commonly used path, you will see their webs between the bushes and trees.
I ended up on the main road but after about 30 minutes of being honked at by the local men, I turned back towards the town. We then headed out to dinner at the restaurant/hostel next door called "Tortilla Flats". It was the only place that we had seen a bunch of people at and with all of the rain, we didn't want to go to far from our place.
Little did we know that since it was Saturday night, this restaurant would turn into the local club and blast music for the rest of the evening. One of the bartenders took a liking to Alyssa and was constantly bringing her free shots. She told him I was her sister and I think in an attempt to get into her good graces, he would give me a shot as well when he gave her one. I really did not feel like drinking but I am hardly one to turn down free shots. It was very interesting to watch the locals at this bar. It is open to the beach, so the locals would just stand across the street listening to the music and watching the party. They never came in the bar, we assumed because they couldn't afford a drink (there must have been 40 people just hanging around outside). It was so loud though that it was hard to have much of a conversation with anyone and since I wasn't looking to get wasted and dance on tables, Lars and I played some card games. When we finally decided to leave, the bartender wouldn't let Alyssa out of the bar without a dance, which we decided was acceptable since he was very nice and we had definitely drank for free all night.
Unfortunately because this bar was located right next to our hostel, we could hear the music blaring away while we were in bed until 2:00am...not my favorite since I am a very light sleeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment