Monday, October 7, 2013

Sick day in Cusco

Today I woke up feeling fine but Alyssa was suffering from the stomach issues that I had two days prior. I decided that while she slept, I would go out in search of the bus station so that I could purchase our tickets to Puno for the following day. I mapped out the route to the bus station before leaving and headed on my way. The first half of the directions went fine but all of a sudden, I couldn't find any of the street names I had written down. I asked one of the traffic cops how to get there and he pointed in the opposite direction that I had been walking and said I would need to take a cab. Disheartened, I turned around and tried to follow his directions. I ended up stopping at a few travel agencies to get directions and surprisingly, no one seemed to know how to get to the bus station. Finally I gave up and headed back towards the Plaza de Armas.

I had not yet eaten breakfast or lunch so I stopped at the "Bagel Cafe" and got a veggie bagel and a pineapple juice. I still wasn't feeling 100% but I was hungry so that was a good sign. I got an extra bagel sandwich to go in case Alyssa felt like she could eat it but also picked up some chicken soup in the event that the sandwich was too much.

Once back at the hostel, we watched a movie on tv and hung out with two girls from the UK that were also staying at the hostel. I looked up the bus station again, but it appeared that there were conflicting reports online as to where it was located so decided to just head to a travel agency to purchase the tickets there even though I knew they would be $60 soles instead of $40 like they would have been at the bus station.

Alyssa was able to eat the bagel part of the sandwich but not much else. She didn't want to move from the couch (and I didn't blame her) so I headed out to get dinner on my own. I went to a restaurant called "Los Perros"; Katie and I had gone there previously and I remembered it had great food. Since I hadn't eaten much in recent days, I let myself order the burger which was absolutely delicious! Seriously, I would seek that burger out in the US it is so good.

I hung out there for an hour of so, writing postcards and catching up on my journal before heading back to the hostal.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment