Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day in Lima

I woke up at 9:30, determined that although I hadn't slept, I would get free breakfast. Alyssa had realized that I was up all night and was trying to get me to sleep in but sleep be dammed, I was having breakfast! Sadly breakfast was only instant coffee and bread but I was glad I came down anyways. I had been going back and forth about whether I wanted to see the Nazca lines in Peru and really needed to make a decision. I finally decided that we wouldn't go to Nazca because Alyssa had absolutely no interest in it and it was expensive and out of the way. I thought it would be really interesting to see but it's a lot of hassle for a 25 minute flight in a prop plane. I would probably be able to see them better if I just looked them up online. We decided that we would fly to Cusco then instead of taking the bus because it is a 22 hour bus ride for $64 USD or a one hour flight for $92 USD. After how we'd been feeling the past few days, $30 was a small price to pay to avoid an overnight bus. We were unable to book the flight online because of some "verified by Visa" issue that apparently wasn't working on the airline's website, so we decided to walk down to the airline ticket office to book them there. Of course once we got to the ticket office, they wanted to charge us $30 more to book in person than to book online. I was exhausted and SO annoyed by this. We explained the issue with booking online and she agreed to wave the $30 booking fee for one of our flights but not both. We finally agreed so that we wouldn't have to deal with the issue any more.
After purchasing the flight, we went back to the hostel and I laid in bed for a little while resting. Finally, I felt well enough to go get lunch, so we went to this big grocery store called "Wong's" which is like a giant Whole Foods. We decided we would get sandwiches since they sliced up fresh rotisserie chicken for your sandwiches and it looked delicious. Alyssa's sandwich was made perfectly with plump chicken breast, but when he made mine he was picking small pieces of bloody meat off of the bone that he had just cut Alyssa's meat off of. This probably wouldn't bother most people, but anyone who knows me well knows I have HUGE issues with food. And this put me right over the edge. Alyssa saw that I had completely checked out and walked away from the situation so she tried explaining the issue to the sandwich guy. He didn't seem to understand but luckily another patron got it and explained it to him in Spanish. He sort of fixed the problem by adding some chicken breast to the pile but by then I was over the entire sandwich and though I had already paid for it, I was prepared to throw it straight into the trash. Luckily the meat didn't bother Alyssa at all so she gave me her sandwich and ate the other one. I know I'm crazy but what can ya do?
We headed back to the hostel so that I cold lay down again and Alyssa went out walking around the town. I was very happy that we were in a nice place on a day when I needed to spend more time in the room, otherwise I would have been even more miserable.
Hours later, we ventured back into town for dinner. Alyssa wanted Italian food, so we stopped at a restaurant that we had walked past many times throughout our stay in Cusco and was always busy.
I ordered the cheapest pasta they had since I wasn't very hungry which ended up being the hugest bowl of pesto noodles I've ever seen! I've had pesto a few times on the trip since these countries love Italian food, but they never really get it right and the pesto usually ends up tasting like broccoli. Alyssa ordered lasagna but what she got was noodles with ham, cheese and red sauce...lol! I had read something about a martini bar that was next door to this restaurant, so we decided to head there after dinner since we both love a good martini. Sadly the place called "Martini" did not have any martinis on the menu...I don't know why I expect any different, lol. I ordered a tequila sunrise since I am still trying to force myself to drink tequila and Alyssa got a maracuya sour (which is passionfruit, Pisco and egg white). I assumed my tequila sunrise would be made with orange juice but instead they used orange soda- it was awful! But I drank the whole thing in protest since Alyssa was chastising me for ordering like an American. I can't help it, I am an American! But I decided to only order local drinks from now on...then you know they can make them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment