Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Puno, Peru

We got up early, finished packing and headed down to grab some breakfast. I felt a bit rushed because the guy who had sold me the bus tickets insisted that it left at 8:00am even though all of the websites said 8:30am, so I insisted we arrive at the bus station at 7:30am just to be sure. Alyssa was still feeling pretty weak so there was no rushing her and it was hard to find a cab so early in the morning. When we got to the bus station, of course it left at 8:30am. I was frustrated but still happy that we were early not late. We took a Transzela bus and I have to say, I was very happy with it. The seats were huge and we had plenty of leg room. The bus ride went by pretty quickly as I have taken to listening to NPR and medical podcasts during these bus rides which keep me entertained.
When we arrived in Puno, I was immediately concerned. This was a very small, underdeveloped town and as we drove through, I couldn't even spot any restaurants. We grabbed our bags and took a cab to "Bothy Hostal" which I had previously made a reservation at. We definitely didn't need a reservation though, because there were only two other people staying there- a girl named Kat from Australia and a guy named Sebastian from the Netherlands. Our room was nice and we had our own floor but sadly there were no power outlets in the room or bathroom. The only outlet was next to the computer. This is only a big deal because my ipad takes SO long to charge so I always do it overnight and wasn't about to leave it unattended by the computers.
After we dropped off our bags, we headed out to get some food. Alyssa wasn't going to eat since she still wasn't feeling up to it, so I invited Kat and Sebastian to come along since they both looked a little lonely. We went to "Mojsa" which I had looked up on Trip Advisor and had gotten great reviews (Trip Advisor is the standard by which I measure everything, lol). The atmosphere was great and the food looked good too. I ordered the vegetarian lasagna which sadly came out still a little frozen, but other than that was ok. Everyone else's food looked great. Alyssa and I decided that since it was our last night in Peru, we had to try chica morada, which is a fermented corn drink. We both thought it tasted weird (althoug I'm glad we teied it) so we gave ours to Kat and Sebastian.
After dinner, we grabbed some ice cream and went off in search of fruit for the next morning. We were able to find the local market and buy some apples and oranges from the street vendors since the actual grocery store had no produce. We are always on the lookout for yogurt but strangely enough they do not refrigerate them in Bolivia, despite the fact that the packaging says you have to keep it at acertain temperature. I guess everyone eats them and they are fine but I'm not willing to take that chance yet. After our grocery search, we headed back to the hostel so Alyssa could get some sleep. I spent the evening attempting to upload my trip pictures to facebook but even on this third attempt, the computers/Internet won't let me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment