Saturday, January 18, 2014

Last day in Thailand- Hello Singapore!

We had to leave at 3:30pm to catch our flight to Singapore so we knew that day would be a relaxed one. We woke up, leisurely packed our things and lazed about since check out wasn't until noon. I returned our motorbikes and was relieved to get our passports back without issue. We checked out of our room and walked down towards the beach, in search of a good breakfast spot with wifi. After checking out many menus, we decided on "Karon Cafe", which had a wide variety of breakfast items. The variety is important since we all have very different tastes. Alyssa got the breakfast buffet so that she could have unlimited fruit, muesli and coffee, I got the orange/cinnamon french toast and Jane got some sort of Thai breakfast. Sadly, the wifi was the fake wifi we've come to expect so we couldn't get anything done while we were there.
After breakfast, we all parted ways. Alyssa headed to the beach while Jane went off to do some shopping. I needed to write some post cards and book some of the hostels and flights we would need for China, so I headed back to the hostel where I knew I'd have reliable internet. I was able to complete my post cards, buy stamps and mail them which is quite an accomplishment for me! I then grabbed some lunch at the same restaurant we'd had dinner at the night before to have my last Thai meal. Alyssa spotted me as she was walking back from the beach, so we headed back to the hostel to meet up with Jane and head to the airport.
We had ordered a private car to take us to the airport which was a few dollars more expensive but would also be much quicker than taking the hostel shuttle. I sat in the front seat and I was glad that I did because the driver was crazy kept slamming on the brakes and jerking us around for the whole drive. Alyssa ended up getting really car sick as a result. We made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare, despite the driver's fears that we would be late. We had purchased our flights separately but had all miraculously ended up in the same row. I was not the other side of the plane, but that was fine since I just wanted to read anyways. The flight was short and easy. When we arrived, we found a cab and were glad that they use the meter in order to determine price instead of the usual bartering we have to do. It was a bit of a drive from the airport to where we were staying, but the drive was beautiful. The city was so advanced looking and they had so many interesting light installations set up along the waterfront. It was clean and well organized and I immediately thought that it was one of the most modern, architecturally beautiful cities I had been in. We were staying at a friend of Jane's who lived in Singapore with her boyfriend. Yan and Jason were very nice to let us crash in the living room for a few nights and we were happy to not have to pay for room and board.
When we got to their apartment, they were still out of town for one more night so we dropped our stuff off and headed out to find some food. We had seen a China town as we drove into the city and it looked really done up for the New Year, so we wanted to check it out. There were a bunch of little food stands with cheap Chinese options, so we picked one and got some delicious spicy ramen.

After eating, we walked down the street into China town checking out the light installations. It is the "Year of the Horse" according to the Chinese calendar so China town was all dressed up with horses. The lights were really amazing. We walked around for a bit but then decided to head back to the apartment, do some laundry and go to bed so we could explore the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment